Road Runner Sports - GREAT DEALS!

11% Off RRS Gear Plus Free Shipping_468x60

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Just Try Again

After reviewing the week preceding my last half marathon, I knew I had sabotaged my performance.

  1. I paid no attention to my nutrition, even had wine the evening before the race.
  2. I took the course for granted assuming it would be flat and unchallenging.
  3. I took my training for granted.  Since 16 to 18 milers had been run prior to my half marathon, it was in my mind that I could easily accomplish 13.1. 
  4. There was no taper in my schedule. In fact, a 32 mile bike ride, a 5K race (even though it was slow) and a full 12 hour day on my feet a day prior to the race was just plain STUPIDITY.
Instead of sitting around wondering what COULD have been, I signed up for another Half Marathon and will set myself up right. The race is Saturday, September 10th:  ARC Race 2011.  The course is certified by the USATF and it's in support of people with developmental disabilities. 

My training week:
Monday:  8 mile run with 2 minute x 9 Fartleks.  15 minutes warm up and a 30 minute cool down.
Tuesday:  7 mile run.  4 miles running at 10K pace and 3 minutes easy to finish.
Wednesday:  4 1/2 miles. 35 minutes of building up from an easy pace to a 5K pace.
Thursday:  6 mile run.  Minimum of 30 minutes in between 5K and 10K pace. Finish at an easy but working pace.
Friday:  OFF
Saturday at 9AM = Truth will tell.

Nutrition: 
Clean, low fat diet.
Breakfast: Oatmeal and fresh fruit start each day coupled with a whey isolate protein shake.
Snack foods are plain, Greek yogurt with 1 TBS raisins and 1 TBS almonds or mixed nuts.  In the morning, a Hammer Nutrition Bar.
Lunch: A large fresh green salad with carrots and hummus, beans or sweet potato for carbohydrates, and tuna, salmon, or vegetarian patties for protein.
Dinner: One 4 oz serving of fish or vegetarian protein coupled with cooked vegetables.
For exercise supplements, I take Hammer Gels
They taste clean and light. I will begin each run with either Hammer Perpetuem or Sustained Energy.  *The liquids are easy to digest when exercising so early in the morning.

The plan is in place. I won't do anything to jeopardize my race.  If I don't achieve my goal time, I will  need to adjust training paces for the up coming marathon in November.  Why?  Because if a person trains at paces too fast for their ability, they set themselves up for injury.  There is a difference between pushing your self and fooling yourself.  It's not giving up, it's being smart.

Check back to see the results after the race and... wish me luck!

For more on food and fun, go to www.applecrumbles.com

No comments: